Mars or Bust Research in Washington D.C.

I do not know why these images spoke to me. They are not particularly extraordinary. Simply things I needed for the Mars or Bust novel.

I would have liked to spend more time in the Air and Space Museum, but it was hot and I was with a guest so I abstained courteously from perspiratory activities.

Luckily, I got the images I needed. I also managed to amass an armful of freeze dried ice cream and various astronaut paraphernalia to hang about my room as the novel dances.


These are astronaut log books.

On my way back from D.C., I had the pleasure of sitting next to a Naval Officer. I told him of my dream to be an astronaut.

"That's why I went to the Air and Space Museum," I explained. "Now I can write myself as one."

The Naval Officer smiles. He has a disarming smile - full of love and understanding.

"You would have made a great astronaut," he tells me.

"Thank you," I say. "You're two sweet."

We had a wonderful conversation about love and life all the way to Phoenix.

He even gave me this proverb: Mas sabe el Diablo por viejo que por Diablo.

The literal translation is "More knows the Devil for being old than for being the Devil."

I will use this one day, I thought.


An engine from Saturn 9. I loved the color. I wanted to remember the color.
Pirooz with Triceratops. Not a more beautiful image. A perfect hello. My friend, Shaniqua, taught me the proper hand sign for "West Side." I wanted to represent my peeps from Cali. I also wanted to create a gesture for "Jurassic" but that didn't come to me until now.

Another thing for the novel I suppose. Either that, or the folks at Weller Grossman will be giving shout outs to their favorite dinosaur epochs come tomorrow morning.

"Spring Scales" I found inspiring. The white plastic. The simplicity of the tool.

This is the amazing thing about astronaut tools. They are so effortless and simple in their design. That reminds me of my art. I like that.

Maybe that's why you can see my reflection in this photo.

No comments: