Mamma Mia


I went to a movie with my dad today. We were supposed to see Step Brother. The theater didn't have it though. We had to settle on something else. 

"How about Mamma Mia?" my dad asked. 

"Mamma Mia?" I asked.

"Yes, Mamma Mia," my dad smiled. 

"You want to see a musical?"

"Mamma Mia," my dad smiled again.

"Mamma Mia? The movie with Meryl Streep?"

"Today we see Mamma Mia and tomorrow we see Step Brothers."

"Okay," I laughed. 

When we went in the theater, I was surprised that I was the youngest person there. I thought this was something teeny bopper girls would see. I was wrong though. I don't know what was going on in Pittsford, but there wasn't a person under 60 in that place. That just added to my overall disappointment at seeing a musical. I think I guffawed and huffed most of the way through the first 20 minutes; I may have even almost yacked at a few points. I don't really know. I was not enjoying it so well. I mean, I was right there with it. It wasn't until Meryl Streep started singing that my scowls started to resemble something like a smile. She was just too damn cute. I think my dad thought so too. He had a smile on his face and it just wouldn't go away. I've never seen the man so happy. He was shining teeth the whole film. When the credits started rolling, he couldn't even leave his seat. He had to wait for the light to come on. 

"I meet you," he said, and looked back at the screen.

"Dad?" I said. 

"I meet you," he said. 

I waited for him by the trash can at the back of the theater.  He walked up to me dancing slightly. It was like he warms up for tennis, so I don't know if you can call it dancing, but he was doing whatever it was that he was doing, and then he looks at me beaming, and says.

"Good movie."

"Yeah," I laughed. "You liked it, huh?"

"Good movie" he said again.

I wouldn't ever see a movie like that ordinarily, but seeing my dad get that much joy out of it, was enough to make it a film worth seeing. 

"I'm glad you liked it," I said. 

"Yeah," my dad agreed. "I have to use the restroom."


No comments: