Two Things That Have Caught My Attention and Made It Less Likely That I Would Commit Suicide





Last night I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It was a novel told entirely form the perspective of a dog. I thought it was done rather well. It didn't live up to the great promo video, but it was a solid book. If I were editing, I would have probably made the author do another rewrite to lose semicolons and make the overall descriptions a bit stronger. In either case, after that six hour experience, I am only left with the other big hooplah of the summer - Benji Hughes.



Benji's album is due out July 22nd and I couldn't be happier. The songs that were released last month from the EP, A Little Extreme, were just enough to satiate me for the big tamale. Now I need to hear the rest of the songs on the complete double disc of A Love Extreme. If it's anything like what Benji has done so far, my guess is this record will win a Prammy, a Pirooz Grammy. Of course, I don't know what he would be classified as. Is he punk/folk? House/hippie? I have no idea. I just know his songs become permanent loops in your head as you walk down the street and get ready for different extremes.

Benji Hughes
has two shows in Los Angeles at El Cid on August 15th and 16th. If you get a chance, see him in this intimate venue, before he is showcased in large, crowded venues with poor sound.

Garth Stein
is an excellent writer. Don't let my critique of semicolons dissuade you. His new novel is definitely worth the read and time.

2 comments:

Posatko said...

Hey man - Thanks again for the suggestion.

http://eucatastrophes.blogspot.com/

Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

I am glad it was such an inspiration. : )