slowing down a class long enough for them to realize that we were both human and make mistakes


I had an interesting moment with my students today. Instead of doing the typical opener where a professor just reads over the syllabus, I decided to type everything I was saying onto the computer which was projected onto a screen behind me. I wrote things like: 

"Hi. Hello. Welcome. I am not a robot. I make mistakes. You are not robots either. I think we will get along." 

This made everyone laugh. They didn't respond when I said "Hi" though. They just sat there. That's when I decided to talk about being scared to speak. I said/wrote: 

"I get scared sometimes. That's okay. I am not a robot. You are not robots either. We have this in common. We can be scared. We can just sit here. Maybe, pretty soon we will realize that neither of us is a robot, that we both have eyes, ears, and a nose, and then we'll be friends. Who knows? Maybe, when I say 'Hi' you will also say 'Hi' in return."

"Hi," I wrote.

"Hi!" the students in the class shouted. 

This was a nice exercise in slowing down a class long enough for them to realize that we were both human and make mistakes. I think this put us on an equal level, so that we could make mistakes and learn from one another in an authentic and healthy way. What do you think?

Now I am going to lie down on my bed. So Gee is here. She just had some Mexican food. I am going to have a muffin and a Powerade. I really dislike Powerades. I prefer water or milk. I just needed something different to drink though. Now I am going to drink it. Goodbye. 


No comments: